Tuesday 16 July 2024

Life Update: Preparing for Kittens!

 If you follow me on Instagram you have already seen that I have just added to new adorable little Kittens to my family. They join the family of me and my bearded Dragon, Toothless. If you haven't seen my post Instagram you can find the link to it on my Contact Page.

So I thought while I am busy get used to my new routine of being mum (yes I am one of those pet parents) to my new kittens as well as my dragon, that I would put together a post of things that I did to help me prepare for these two adorable new additions. I do have to put a disclaimer in that I am not a professional and these are just my opinions. The websites I mention do provide their own list but these were just the things I did. 

So this post will be split up into Supplies I needed/ got, ways to save money when shopping, preparing your home and useful websites where I conducted research or things that I researched. One thing to note is that I am not an expert, this is my experience and not professional advice. So let's jump straight into the post. 

Supplies

So as you can imagine there is a lot of stuff that you need when you bring a tiny little kitten into your home. Here are the things that were on my list when I was preparing for my two tiny fur balls. 

1. Litter box/Tray: I did go with a simple tray to begin with for my kittens, mainly because I wanted to make it very easy for the kittens to access. Though I do plan to change this to a lidded one when they grow older. 

2. Cat Carrier: This one is self explanatory, I personally prefer getting a canvas carrier compared to the bulkier plastic one but this one is down to personal preference. 

3. Scratching Post: Again I think this one is self explanatory I mean who wants their new kitten scratching up their furniture. 

4. Grooming

5. House Cleaning: With this category I mean general cleaning products that will be used within the Kittens vicinity that is pet friendly/pet safe.

6. Food and Treats: Self Explanatory, though I do recommend you read the packets when it comes to treats as not all of them are suitable for young cats or kittens.

7.Litter accessories: So this section covers the actual Cat Litter, a scoop and any litter tray bags or old newspapers that you may want to use in your litter tray. 

8. Bowls 

9. Bedding

10. Toys

Ways to Save Money

So when you get a new pet, they always come with lots of expenses so its always great to save some money where you can. Here are a few ways to save money when you get your new kitten. 

1. Shop Around: Don't just go to one shop when it comes to buying supplies. Shop around both online and offline stores to see where you can grab yourself a bargain.

2. Use Old bedding instead of buying a cat bed. The reason this one works is because sometimes cats and kittens don't use the beds you provide. So instead of buying a costly cat bed that could get messy or not even used, see if you have any old bedding that you can use instead. Trust me the kittens won't know the difference.

3. Don't over do it on toys. I would say only buy a few toys for your new kitten. When you first get them you don't know what they will prefer. Are they a soft toy cat or a noisy toy cat? Do they prefer a ball or is their favourite toy going to be a ball of random paper?

4. When it comes to the scratching post, I would recommend going plan and simple. Just a simple tower is perfect, you never know whether they want the levels or if they will use them. I would keep it plan for the first one and when you repurchase you can always start adding levels. 

Preparing your home

One thing to start off this section with is that you will never be fully prepared for the kitten arrival. They will always find something to get into or something to try and eat but I hope this helps you. 

When preparing your home you are going to want to make sure you have gates for any doors for rooms that you don't want the kittens to go into. The gates will not keep them out as they settle in but it will help at the beginning. 
You also want to plug up any little gaps where you don't want the kittens getting into. For me, this was the gap either side of my cooker. When plugging these gaps, you need to beware that the kittens will test your plug and if it isn't up to standard they will squeeze themselves into that area anyway. 

Research

As when taking on anything you want to make sure that you do your research, while figuring out the best thing for you. There are a lot of websites out there that will have research on what to do before your new arrival and after they come. Some Websites I found helpful are Royal Canine, Cat's Protection. But not only that you also want to do your research when it comes to getting Pet Insurance sorted out as well as registering them with a vet. 


Thank you for reading this post and I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave me a comment if I have missed anything out of this list. Make sure you are following my Instagram for all Kitten/ Bearded Dragon Photos. I will be posting a blog in the coming weeks reflecting on my first week/month with the Kittens. Again this is not professional advice, this is just what I did. 

Until Next Time

Emma

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment