Wednesday 12 June 2024

Review: Dropping the Mitts by Lasairiona McMaster*

 

'Love can blur even the fiercest of rivalries.

Penelope

When I kiss a guy dressed as Pacman at a party, it feels like fate. But fate must have a twisted sense of humor—because falling for the son of the man who ruined my family was never part of the plan.

Tate Myers, star hockey player and my sworn enemy, ignites a hate in me that’s hotter than any slapshot. Yet the heart wants what it wants—even if it means crossing every line I’ve drawn.

Tate

Getting snubbed by a chick dressed as Taco Belle at a party sucked almost as much as taking a slapshot to the face. My jaw and my world shatter, but the tall, curvy goddess next door keeps me afloat with her pranks.

I have no idea why she hates me, but right now, I hate myself, too. This is my second chance at making her fall for me, and I’m determined to win her over.

Can love conquer a bitter rivalry born on frozen ground, or will family feuds tear them apart?'

We are back with Book 5 in the Cedar Rapid Racoons series and this time we are meeting Tate and Penelope. Now we have met Penelope in the past but it is time to find out her story. Which seems to have started before the others. As with the other books in this series, this can be read as a standalone but I would recommend the series. 
Now Tate and Penelope's story consists of 45 Chapters as well as an epilogue. This story starts straight at the beginning of Penelope and Tate at the point where they first met, on a fateful Halloween night. 
Now Tate is a hockey loving Jock who actually falls first in this enemies to loves tale. Though Tate may not be aware at first why these two fall into the category 'Enemies to Lovers'. 
Penelope on the other hand is sassy and brilliant. Lasairiona always writes a strong female character but she has outdone herself with Penelope. There is just something about Penelope that stands out to me, not sure what but I love everything about Penelope. Not only will you love Penelope but you will also love her cousin Karlya who is also brilliant, full of aggressive love. I love this girl as a character and keeping my fingers crossed that she will get her own story. 
In all the interactions between Tate and Penelope they have lots of banter and pranking between them. If you love playing a good prank, then take notes of the ones in this book because they are brilliant! All these interactions just make readers fall more in love with this duo. 
Now I do have to warn you to take note of the Trigger Warning page and have some tissues handy when it comes to this book. Tate suffers more than a College Hockey player should, and I predict you will shed some tears at his experience, but he is strong and spoiler alert he does get through it. 
Now one thing I absolutely loved as a fellow Swiftie, is all the Taylor Swift references throughout the book. Not only are there mentions of songs and albums but there is one scene involving the songs 'You Belong with me' and 'Our Song' that I loved and wish I was a fly on the fictional wall for. I also love the fact that Tate is a fellow swiftie.
Overall I fell in love with this book and read it in less than a day. Not only do I love the Enemies to Lovers trope that is very much present within this book, but I also love all the banter that shows up and stays for the duration of the book. I feel like with every book Lasairiona writes I always claim that I find a new book boyfriend in the male main character. However this time, I feel like I found my new favourite book couple! Click HEREHERE to get your hands on a copy of this book. 
Until Next Time
Emma
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment